A massage is the treatment of superficial parts of the body by rubbing, stroking, kneading, or slapping. Massages are usually performed to relieve muscle stiffness, spasms, or cramps and to relieve anxiety and tension. Simply put, massages feels good and are beneficial to your health. When muscles are stressed, they block oxygen and nutrients, leading to inflammation that builds up toxins in the muscle tissue.
There are many different types of massages. The types of massages are generalized to their origin (eastern and western). Some of the most common Eastern types are: Shiatsu, Accupressure, and Polarity. Eastern types of massages involve an understanding of the body’s energy. Some of the common Western types are: Swedish, Neuromuscular Therapy, Trager, Myofascial Release, and Connective Tissue Therapy. Western types are based in an anatomical understanding of our body. Each person responds differently to massage and there isn’t just one style which is best for all.
Basic Massage techniques includes stroking, kneading, and rubbing to stimulate physical and emotional healing. They stimulate physical and emotional healing by literally providing Physical therapy on the part of the body that is being massaged and through stimulation of the lymphatic system. (The lymphatic system carries waste products out of your body and defends your body against infection).
Massage healed my chronic pain…
I have been going to Spinal Rehab and Wellness Center for almost a year, 1-2 times per week. Due to ongoing medical issues, I suffer from a lot of pain and both Dr. Mira and Stephanie, my massage therapist, have been been invaluable in making me feel better. I spend at least an hour a… Read more “Massage healed my chronic pain…”
My First chiropractic experience…
Spinal Rehab & Wellness Center is no pop-in/pop-out place. Dr. Mira and her entire staff take a holistic, long-term approach to your aches and pains that is still scientific. This part was important to me because I’d never been to a chiropractor before and didn’t know what to expect. I’ve learned more here about my… Read more “My First chiropractic experience…”
Best Ever …
I have visited four different Chiropractors over the years and Dr. Dhutia is without a doubt the best. Beyond getting great results, she is up to date on all the latest techniques, sensitive to her patient needs, and unique in her desire and ability to teach preventative maintenance exercises. I highly recommend her.
Thank you …
I came to Dr. Dhutia hoping that she would be able to help me with severe migraines and back pain made worse by another Doctor. I was very skeptical about Chiropractors at this point because of my prior experience, but after my first visit her professional and friendly manner put me at ease. She listened… Read more “Thank you …”
Normal again …
Due to being in a car accident recently I suffered a lot of pain in my neck, arms and back. The pain in my back started travelling down into one of my legs. I turned to Dr. Dhutia for help in relieving my pain. Under her care my pain was finally getting less severe within… Read more “Normal again …”
I think my therapeutic spinal massage added years to my life. I need this in my life once a month! This place does chiropractic work, but I received the gift of a massage! The business is in a strip mall, unassuming and doesn’t pander to luxury. But my massage was in a quiet, well equipped… Read more “rejuvenating massage…”
Golfing again …
I am so happy to have found Dr. Mira for my chiropractic needs! I have been seeing her for the past 10 months and have experienced serious improvements for all my issues. Being a retired construction person, I have many issues. Between the Doctor and my massage therapist Robin, I am back on the golf… Read more “Golfing again …”
Looking great !!!
I have used Lipolight for about 4 months. I have lost 21 pounds so far. Being overweight, it is amazing seeing the inches just fall off my waist, bust, back fat and buttocks. My clothes fit better on me now and I’m looking forward to buying a new wardrobe. My aim is to lose 20… Read more “Looking great !!!”
immediate relief from tennis elbow…
Dr. Mira is a “Mira”cle worker. She provides individualized care at every appointment. The treatment for a herniated disc included adjustments, traction, ultrasound, clinical massage and electric stimulation. Within a couple weeks, I was back to my regular routine and pain free. She provided almost immediate relief from tennis elbow- which lasted for 6 months… Read more “immediate relief from tennis elbow…”
Back to active …
I am writing to thank you for giving me back my very active life. When I first came to your office, I was hopeful that you could help reduce the terrible stabbing pain I was experiencing. At first, the pain was occasional and bearable, but by the time of my first appointment 6 months later,… Read more “Back to active …”
Another form of massage is known as Deep Tissue which focuses on the deeper layers of muscle tissue. It aims to release the chronic patterns of tension in the body through slow strokes and deep finger pressure on the contracted areas, either following or going across the fiber's of the muscles, tendons and fascia. Deep tissue massage is used to release chronic muscle tension through slower strokes and more direct deep pressure or friction applied across the grain of the muscles not with the grain. Deep tissue massage helps to break up and eliminate scar tissue.
Two considerations for Deep Tissue massages:
- They usually focuses on more specific areas and may cause some soreness during or right after the massage and will fade, leaving you feeling even better than ever within a day or two.
- A deep-tissue massage helps loosen muscle tissues, release toxins from muscles and get blood and oxygen circulating properly. Because many toxins are released, we recommend drinking plenty of water afterwards to help eliminate these toxins from the body.
Massage therapy is a combination of therapies that can help with recovery of injured muscles or daily stress tightness. Some of the techniques we use are based on pain toleration :
- Instrument-Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization (IASTM): is a therapeutic technique that uses specific applied instruments to promote mobilization and blood flow to areas that are restricted. Restricted or adhered myofascial tissue and/or scar tissue are the primary tissues addressed with its application. Great technique for athletes, office workers (receptionist).
- Trigger Point Release Therapy -- Myofascial Made Simple. The word myofascial means muscle tissue (myo) and the connective tissue in and around it (fascia). Myofascial pain often results from muscle injury, stress or repetitive strain. Muscles often form trigger points, like contracted knots, that cause pain and tightness. All our patients will benefit from this therapy due to the daily stress that can lead to tightness in different areas of our body.
- Myofascial release is a manual technique for stretching the fascia. Fascia is located between the skin and the underlying structure of muscle and bone, it is a web of connective tissue that covers and connects the muscles, organs, and skeletal structures in our body. Injuries, stress, trauma and poor posture can cause restriction to fascia, and the goal of myofascial release is to release fascia restriction and restore its tissue.
- Cross-fiber friction techniques is applied to create a stretching and broadening effect in large muscle groups; or on site-specific muscle and connective tissue, deep transverse friction is applied to reduce adhesions and to help create strong, flexible repair during the healing process.